Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Good and Bad

   Our three weeks on the farm are coming to a close today. We've cleaned and washed and vacuumed and put everything back in its place. Given how crowded with stuff this place is I think that, in itself, deserves a medal.

  Before I get to more about this sit I should note, for those of you who aren't aware, my wife went skydiving last week. Jen's ex, Jason, went along for the ride as he enjoyed it so much the first time, about ten years ago.

  I don't quite understand it. I love to fly but jumping out of a perfectly good airplane for no reason seems odd to me. I guess there's a kind of Sir Edmund Hillary thing going on in reverse, to wit, because it was there, down not up, if you get my drift. We're not done yet. Next on the proverbial bucket list for her is flying in a glider. I did mention I love to fly... I also think an engine is good. Silly me.

  Anyway, I fulfilled my duty of documenting said adventure, much like when she went swimming in Antarctica. I'm ok not participating so don't feel sad for me. I have no desire to subject myself to these flights (sorry) of derring-do. When I feel the need for a thrill I'll search out a Tail Of The Dragon-like road or a black diamond ski run. Hell, I might even go into the ocean where the surf goes past my knees! I'm good with that.

  Back to the farm. As I said when we arrived, it's a beautiful property and a not-so-beautiful house. We've enjoyed long walks through the fields and forests with Lucy, the dog that walks, while Heidi, the old dog no longer capable of walks, lounges on the dining room floor. She's a good dog and has had a hard life working the sheep but now it's a major effort just for her to stand up to eat. It's sad, really, watching her like this and I'm not sure we would have been able to watch this if she were ours. But our job is not to judge or try to change anything, only to watch over everything and maintain the status quo.

  Speaking of the dogs, this would be a good time to talk about the other not-so-nice doggy thing we've been dealing with... Lucy's breath. When we arrived we noted it was a kind of, well, disgusting. We've tried the chewy, teeth-cleaning bones, brushing her teeth with what little remained of the paste they use here and a green gel that gets rubbed inside her mouth. Nothing worked. In fact, if it's possible, I think it's gotten worse.

  About thirty years ago Penny's aunt gave my sister-in-law's husband a birthday card that proclaimed his breath could gag a maggot. I wish Lucy's breath was that nice. I'm not even getting into the preponderance of dog farts in this house. I suspect the bad breath and gross farts are due to the dogs' diet but, once again, it's not ours to change. Thus, I am glad to be leaving the farm today and breathing some of that fresh, unsullied country air.

  Now, I don't want you, dear reader, to get the impression we haven't enjoyed our time here. Bad breath and farts can put a damper on things but we still enjoyed our time here. Except while sitting in the dining room when it was dark enough to require the electric light. I mentioned the main part of the house was built in 1860 and I suspect the wiring might be of a similar vintage. I should check it and see if Edison autographed it.

  For the most part things work here but turn on the ceiling fixture in the dining room and get ready to have an epileptic fit. There are two fixtures connected to the switch and one of them likely has mouse-chewed wiring running to it. When that fixture is lit it flickers annoyingly. I've tried removing each of the four light bulbs in case one was dodgy. Nope. It's not the switch either since the other fixture's light is as steady as can be. It's bad enough that Penny leaves the room when it's on. I suspect one day it will start a fire but, again, it's not for me to resolve (see Shipwright's disease in the previous chapter).

  Speaking of fixing things, which I said I would not attempt, I did manage to fix the toilet and the kitchen faucet that I mentioned last time. Total cost $15. I told the owners and the response was, "It's an old house and things break". You're welcome.

  Aside from those things it's been nice here. The pool was not used as much as we'd like since our weather wasn't great but it was welcome a few days when temps reached 30C. We've also been eating fresh veggies from the garden and that's been okay too. I'll miss the cows who come to say hello whenever they're nearby during my walks with Lucy and I'll miss  watching the otter chase the ducks in the pond outside our window. It's nice to hear the bullfrogs in the evening too. But I won't miss cleaning drowned frogs and mice out of the pool skimmer. No, I won't miss that!

  One final thing about this sit, since you all read this blog to find out how we're doing with this revolutionary way of living. We said we would stay close to the fam this summer so we could spend time with the kids and grandchildren. This sit wasn't close enough to qualify so we'll try harder to be close for the rest of the year. We were far enough away that it was inconvenient to visit on the spur of the moment but not far enough away to be considered "traveling".

  On Thursday we're off to Hawkesbury for the final ten days of August. It promises to be a fun time with lots to do as we'll be mid-way between Ottawa and Montreal. With only a couple of cats to watch over we won't be tied to the house like we are for dog feeding and walking times so that makes a nice break.  Aside that one and the Kelowna sit in October we expect to be much closer to home than we've been the past three weeks. At least until the New Year, then all bets are off!

  My next installment will be coming to you from Eastern Ontario where I hope there's lots of new stuff to talk about. Who knows... maybe Penny will find something new to jump out of while we're there. Until then, drink up!




5 comments:

  1. I'm with you not jumping out of an airplane. Why people ask, well because people are the ones who packed the parachute. Michele 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  2. Entertaining as always but boy do I agree about Lucy’s breath…… yikes!!!!!
    But the farm is lovely and the gardens beautiful and inspiring. Lovely hostas for sure.
    Sandra and Ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penny should add paragliding to her list - here in Chamonix there are dozens of them flying all day long - mostly tandem flights but solo pilots too. Just like a glider but with less equipment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good you're handy! Have fun at the next location. Karen W

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pete and I were members of a glider club back in the day. I think Penny will enjoy the experience.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name when commenting and please do not use S and B as there are 3 couples we know with those initials ;-)

Also, check the Notify Me box if you want to see responses to your comment.