Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Being Tom Hanks

   Weird title, right? Remember a few years ago there was a strange little movie called "Being John Malkovich"? It's okay if you don't because I think about twenty people saw it. The premise of the movie centred on the discovery of a hidden door that, upon entering, placed one in John Malkovich's mind. Well, I may have found the one that works for Tom Hanks.

  It hit me while walking on the deserted beach across the street from us this morning. I turned around and there was no one for as far as I could see. The waves were crashing onto the beach and all I could see was water, sand and foam. "This reminds me of Castaway", I thought.



  Okay. Crazy thought, right? I mean, just because the beach looked like a desert island and I'd been out in the sun for a bit too long doesn't equate to the Hanksian equivalent of the Vulcan Mind Meld... or does it? Follow along as I take you on a journey of weird coincidences.

  It started back at the end of May, when we started this whole housesitting odyssey. There we were in Uranus, MO, laughing at all the bad puns and craziness of the place when what did we happen upon?


  Yep. The Zoltar machine from Big. I know there are many of these around but be patient. I didn't make a wish because I was already big. In fact, maybe a bit too big. Time to cut down on the BBQ and pizza.

  If you followed our adventures over the summer you'll remember we hit Route 66 out of Seligman, AZ on our way to San Francisco. If I didn't mention it before, Seligman is the inspiration for the town of Radiator Springs in Cars:



  Of course, Hanks was a "woody" wagon in Pixar's production, a take-off on his "Woody" character from Toy Story. Speaking of Pixar, there was this while touring around San Francisco:



  Not convinced yet? Keep following. It will become clear soon. As we prepared to leave San Francisco our car was broken into and our luggage was stolen. If you know your movies you'll know The Terminal was based on a real account of a man whose luggage, containing his refugee papers, was lost preventing his entry into France. As a result, he spent the next eighteen years living in Charles de Gaulle airport. A stretch? Maybe just a little bit.

  Remember Sleepless in Seattle? Well, we were Tireless Near Seattle. Now that's a stretch. C'mon, work with me here! Also, don't forget the yuge dog we took care of in Vancouver. Turner and Hooch anyone? Joe and the Volcano? Yellowstone is a supervolcano. The coincidences are myriad... and tenuous.

  Finally, there was Mobile. And Jennie. And Forrest. And Bayou La Batre. And too many Bubbas to count. And a box of chocolates. Well, a box of chocolate covered shrimp. Don't ask.

  You're starting to see it, aren't you? I'm living in Tom Hanks' mind! Really. Don't tell him though. When John Malkovich found John Cusack in his mind he dumped him out beside the New Jersey Turnpike.

  I think I need to spend less time in the sun.



2 comments:

  1. You might be starting to dis-assemble in real time.. I think someone should let Tom Hanks know you could appear in front of him at any moment. Or you could turn into a giant Burmese Mountain dog and run the beach…. All possible I think. Great free association happening here. Love it!
    Sandra at al

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike. Maybe....you've entered a Rod Serling episode of the "Twilight Zone"... and you just don't know it...dodododododo(from the sound track)!!! Say hello to Penny....perhaps she can pull you back to reality.......Enjoy your recent house sitting assignment. Looking forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name when commenting and please do not use S and B as there are 3 couples we know with those initials ;-)

Also, check the Notify Me box if you want to see responses to your comment.